Missionary Work in Italy

Missionary Work in Italy
Andrew teaching a street contact

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

America Day: July 5, 2011

Happy America Day!!
   Okay I'm a day late . . . That's pretty good for being on the other side of the world though isn't it?  In fact, we DID remember it was the Fourth of July.  Mostly because July 4th is an Italian holiday for the Piacentino Saint, San Antonio, but also 'cause it was Independence Day.  I mean come on, how can you forget the liberation of the greatest country in the world??  We had the new Travel Assistents in Piacenza to work with us from Sunday night til Tuesday afternoon, so there was 4 of us in our little apartment here in Piacenza.  We celebrated the day with a Kebab, a granita (kind of like a slushy), and a nice glass of Coke!  We recited the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag on Anziano Bolnick's backpack (you better believe our hands were over our hearts and our chests were puffed out).  We sang the National Anthem, Amazing Grace, some American folk songs, some more National Anthem.  Anziano Minà was so embarrased ha.  The only thing he said all day was "Che scema, che embarrazzato" and "Padre, perdonami."  Translation: "How stupid and embarrassing" and "Father, forgive me" haha.  You better believe we are proud to be Americans!
   I don't want you to think I didn't learn anything on this scambio though.  In fact, I learned tons.  The older Anziani in the mission are just so far ahead of the game.  The truly know how to inspire everyone else to realize their purpose every day.  Before the mission I always thought that the battle would be to remember my purpose.  That's not it at all.  If you ask any missionary in Italy what their purpose is, they will all tell you it is to help and invite others to come closer to Jesus Christ.  The hard part is always acting to fulfill that purpose.  The hard part is truly realizing your potential on the mission.
   This is something that President Wolfgramm told us: We all have imperfections.  All of our bodies have scars, diseases, or malfunctions.  Some may not have an arm.  Some may not have a leg.  Some may not have hair (Dad :))  Thanks to Jesus Christ's Resurrection, these things will be fixed one day.  Everyone will receive perfect bodies.  But not everyone will receive perfect faith, or perfect belief.  What we are doing here is much more gratifying.  We are not changing people's bodies, we are changing people's hearts
   Anziano Minà is such a blessing.  In a lot of different ways.  When I heard I was getting an Italian companion, I was way too excited thinking about the chance to speak Italian 24/7 than about other things such as cultural differences.  I'm still adjusting to the initial shell shock ha.  I know now that when you make pasta, you shouldn't put olive oil in the water to prevent it from boiling over.  Especially if there is an Italian present!  I think one of the hardest parts about it is just the differences in each part of life: the humor is different, work ethic is stressed in different areas, common sense is viewed differently, amongst other things.  How blessed am I to be able to see those differences and get myself used to them and to become more cultured while I am young, before I've fully developed as an adult.  One thing though that is always the same is the Gospel.  That is for sure.  Because we all speak the same language of the Spirit.  We all feel the same peace and comfort that comes from the Lord's companionship.  We all come from the same loving Heavenly Father.  That is why I am blessed. 
   I've got to go now unfortunately, but I will write you next week.  It seems like P-Days come and go like that (*snap).  Until next time!
  Love you all!
-Anziano Proctor
P.S.  Before you send back the tape recorder, I would love for Scott Fielding to record a little bit in Italian if he doesn't mind?  I would really enjoy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment