Missionary Work in Italy

Missionary Work in Italy
Andrew teaching a street contact

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

June 16, 2011

Ciao tutti, belli e brutti!
 
As it's only been about 4 days since I sent you my last email, there's not a whole lot more to write about ha.  The work is still moving along in our little branch of Piacenza.  Every second Sunday of the month we all stay for about an hour after church to eat with one another.  It's really an awesome idea because it gives us and the members a chance to grow together and it helps us to fellowship our investigators into the ward.  We're making awesome progress with an Italian man named Rosario.  We found him on a comp exchange and after our first lesson we challenged him to baptism and he said yes!  We set his date for July 9th.  The coolest thing happened though when we met with him last Saturday.  He thought we said June 9th and was all worried that he'd missed his baptismal service.  You can see how excited he is for it, it's way too cool.
 
I had my first legitimate, full Italian dinner last night.  Boy was it amazing.  The coolest thing about Italians is that when they have you in their home, all they want to do is feed you!  Nothing could bring them more joy than watching two American boys emptying their plates ha.  You get to the point where you're pretty much sated and then they offer you more and more and more.  They bring you your meal in courses: antipasto (appetizer), pasta, meat, maybe some cheese or salad, and then fruit or dessert.  And then the whole time you have bread.  It was magnificent.  I haven't been that full since before the MTC!  Although I will say this, Italian cereal is terrible.  Worst stuff ever haha.  Anziano Nielsen's family sent him some Raisin Bran Crunch and I had a bowl this morning . . . never before have I tasted such amazingness!  Or rather, never have I before noticed how many preservatives and unnatural things we put in our food ha.  Nevertheless, 'twas delicious.
 
Also, we're been hearing a lot lately about this play on Broadway that's coming out about Mormons.  From what I hear, it's from the producers of South Park (is that good or not?)  What's it about?  How is it perceived?  It seems that it goes one of two ways: 1. Pretty unfair and offensive or 2. Funny kind-of-half-truth jokes but not really intended to hurt anyone.  I know I shouldn't really care about it, I'm just curious.  I'd love to hear what different people think about it.
 
Once again, I'm super excited for Ash and AJ.  Every time one of our members or investigators comes to the knowledge that my brother is about to get married they ask me, "But you aren't going to be there?  Well, why not?"  Haha, they just can't even begin to grasp the concept.  But hey, Ashley is entering the temple tomorrow!  That is way too awesome.  Especially because it's the Salt Lake Temple.
 
That's kind of depressing that the Molinaro's are moving . . . what am I gonna do without them when I get back?  One of the first things I planned on doing was walking up there to see them!  (I know it's dangerous that I've even thought about when I get back.  Don't worry, it's not too intently thought out.)  We'll have to figure out some sort of agreement where we visit each other.  That family is way too awesome to let a couple hundred miles separate us.
 
Time to sign off again.  We're going to Parma for our P-Day today, once again with the Anziani from Reggio and Modena.  I'll take some cool pictures . . . which I will eventually get to you somehow.  Once again, my testimony is simple:  There is no work too tough, no rain too heavy, no old Italian skull too thick that cannot be conquered here.  The Spirit of the Lord works through each and every one of us, and as we find and show our faith in Him, there is nothing we cannot do.  I have learned to put my trust in Him.  And only after we've done that can He put His trust in us.  Vi saluto, vi voglio bene e ci sentiamo presto!
 
-Anziano Andrew Proctor

No comments:

Post a Comment